In 1719 the Episcopalian priest in HuntIy was ejected from the Parish Church and with many supporters opened a ‘Meeting House’ in “the Raws”. Soon after, a School for Episcopalian children was established, such was the support in the area. The Meeting House did not escape the troubles of the ‘45 Rising and, although not burned to the ground, all its contents were destroyed.
During the period of the Penal Laws services were held in secret places, usually in the open air and often at night.
The present Church was built in 1849. On the roof panels are depicted open bibles with a text and in the Chancel the Creed, Lord’s Prayer and Ten Commandments on a gilt background.
The Church Garden at Christ Church
The Christ Church Garden was created after the restoration of the church and it complements the simplicity and beauty of the building. It is a relatively low maintenance area incorporating stone slabs, gravel, wood chip and raised beds with self seeded wild flowers mingling with more formal plantings. There is a sensory garden, seating areas, a wild corner and a “Sacred Space” is planned for the rear of the church.
Lance Darling and his team of workers on community service helped greatly with the garden’s construction and continue their interest in its ongoing maintenance.
All are welcome to come in, wander, sit, enjoy and share the peace.
THE MIRLEES ORGAN
The original organ was by E F Walcker of Germany, but at the time of the planned restoration, it was discovered that it was beyond repair. The replacement organ is from the firm of Robert Mirlees that started in Glasgow in 1810. The organ in Christ Church is a hundred and fifty years old and thus is from the same period as the Church building. It was originally built for a private house in Edinburgh and later was moved to Kinneff Parish Church in 1910. It was restored and installed in Christ Church by David Loosley in 2013. The organ is made of walnut with gold leaf detailing and there are no screws -all the pieces are held together by dowels and dovetailing. There are 216 pipes. This fine instrument has been awarded recognition as an important example of its type, indeed of importance to the National Heritage, by the British Institute of Organ Studies